Build Africa has over 20 years' experience of fighting poverty through education, working with communities at a grassroots level to address the unique problems their children face.
We know that education has the power to transform a child's life, give them a more prosperous and healthy future, and help their entire community beat poverty and inequality. Put simply, an education can change everything – so we work hard to give every child the opportunities they need and make sure that nothing stands in their way.
Build Africa's work has two aims: Improve access to education for children and improve the quality of education that they receive.
Improving access to education
We aim to help children overcome the barriers that prevent them from going to school, including tackling inequality in their community and working with parents to provide for their families.
- We help parents to earn a secure living, so they can afford to support their children through school.
- We support families to learn basic financial skills and access community-based savings and loans groups.
- We work with community leaders and families to help them better value education and to nurture each child’s development at home and in the community, as well as at school.
- We enable farming families to grow more sustainable crops and partner together to get a fair price for their work.
- We help girls, minorities and vulnerable children overcome the inequalities that can hold them back, and support them to go to school.
Improving the quality of education
We aim to help children have the best possible education during their time at school, including support from well-trained teachers in a safe and engaging environment.
- We train teachers in child-focused teaching methods appropriate for each age group, making sure staff are motivated and well supported.
- We make sure schools are safe and accessible by working to renovate and construct classrooms, libraries, staffrooms and kitchens, as well as improve access to clean drinking water, hygienic toilets and sanitation.
- We help schools to access engaging learning resources, inspiring text books and educational games to help children get the most out of their time at school.
- We ensure children learn important health, relationship and life skills so they have the power to make better decisions and become successful after leaving school.
- We help establish and monitor school policies and practices that promote and protect the welfare of children and teachers.